02 Apr Better Call Saul Early With Your Wish List and Aspirations
Risk Mitigation for Collected Data
ur guest, Scott Giordano, serves as Senior Counsel for Privacy & Compliance at Spirion, an advisor in rapid identification and protection of sensitive data – focused on multinational data protection and its intersection with technology.
In this episode Scott and Bruce discuss:
- Privacy and security, which are often mistakenly conflated.
- Why you need to bring your lawyer in well before the data collection “cake is baked”.
- The liability differences between a data collecting consumer product and a data collecting business product.
- How to think through the data sharing contract for your newly digitally transformed product or service.
- Privacy laws you should be concerned with if you gather consumer data.
- Why you need to develop a data sharing contract your customer signs before using your digital product or service.
- Why caps and indemnifications are your data sharing contract’s best friends.
Mentioned in this Episode and Other Useful Links
- Spirion’s blog and podcast
- The major consumer privacy laws: the GDPR and the CCPA, which was expanded and amended by CPRA.
- If you sell a digital product/service to businesses, the WP248 (PDF download) provides good guidance.
- Season 1: Related episodes.
- Season 1 book: IoT Inc
- Season 2: Episodes and show notes
- Season 2 book: The Private Equity Digital Operating Partner
- Training: Digital transformation certification